Thursday, April 14, 2011

A real, actual death for daytime's biggest names

1302807755_soaps-cancelled-290.jpg
Credit: Mathew Imaging/FilmMagic; John Lamparski/WireImage



Erica Kane is gonna be pissed! ABC just announced the cancellation of both One Life To Live AND All My Children. After being on the air for over 40 yrs each, OLTL debuted in 1968; AMC in 1970, they have pulled the plug. The silver lining: General Hospital appears to be safe. Even though the story lines lately on that one have me contemplating pulling my own plug. I don't currently watch OLTL or AMC, but I grew up in a house with a mother who did. Every girl has a mom or an aunt or grandmother who watched/watches Soaps. The characters and families are just as a part of daytime broadcasting to most people as gameshows and Oprah or back in the day, Sally Jessie Raphael.

Still to this day, if I came across either show, I would know immediately who was on screen. If given a full hour, I would be able to catch up on a storyline simply by adding the new info to what I knew as a child. I was distraught when 90210 and Friends ended after 10 years. I am angry and annoyed when a show I watched for 2 seasons gets pulled. I can't even imagine what people who have watched and followed these characters their entire lives, must be feeling. I'm sure a lot of woman started watching these shows with their stay-at-home mothers and continue to share the show as a bond between them. It's unfortunate that bond will now be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment